Thursday, February 16, 2012

fresh moments...

While lying awake one night, trying to get comfortable I realized that I was beginning to worry about loved ones back home. I was on vacation you see. And so I began, as is my usual practise, to pray for those who came to mind. But for some reason, I kept going in circles with my prayers and was not feeling better from doing so.
Suddenly I became aware of an image of Jesus in my mind’s eye. (some might call this a vision, but I have no idea about such things. I can only tell you how I experienced it). Jesus was dressed very plainly as a shepherd and had a little lamb wrapped around his neck/on his shoulders.
I realized that I was supposed to pray for my loved ones and once finished place them on Jesus’ shoulders, along with the lamb already there; seemed sensible so I began. After my prayers for the first person were done, I raised my physical arms to place them on his shoulders. After lowering my arms, I prayed for the next person, and so on. When I was done praying, he said. “Ok, now you climb up too.” I hadn’t expected that, but I was eager to comply as his expression was so gentle and his manner so warm and inviting.
I turned onto my side in bed to approximate the position the lamb was in and went on to sleep soundly until morning.

I was struck by the gentleness of our Lord. He didn’t recommend I practise praying so I’d get better at it. He did not shame or scold me in any way. Instead he was warm, gentle and inviting. (I can understand why children flocked to him!!) He did not chatter constantly but spoke only a few words. So much of his meaning was relayed by his expression and gestures.
In the morning, I thought further on what had happened. It seemed the most natural thing in the world for the Lord to have done this for me. It was like a child sitting on a bus with their parent- nothing could seem more normal. I wondered why we create such a sensation about the notion of visions, and other manifestations that the Lord chooses to share with us. Why wouldn’t he want to interact with his beloved children? What could be more natural?
Another aspect that began to dawn on me was that as I finished praying and placing my loved ones on his shoulders, I had to step away and release them from my grasp. We cannot fully “give” our concerns for others to our Lord unless we are willing to let go and entrust that he indeed cares as much or more about them than we do!! So both the actions of placing them and releasing them were important- something I hadn’t considered before.
Lord, we realize that those with power in this world often use it to intimidate those beneath them. You are nothing like that and it is hard for us to fathom your ways and your character. Please forgive us when we are reluctant to hand you our burdens. You long to bring us rest and relief and to carry them for us. Teach us in your gentle fashion to trust you more.
“Come to me all who are weary and heavy burdened and I will give you rest.” Matt 11:28

No comments: